Skip to main content

Philippians 1:12-18


Welcome back! We're continuing our path through Philippians and we're glad you've decided to join us.

Let's start with a question: How did you first come to know about Jesus? Who were the key people in your life who told you about Jesus?  For me, I'm not sure when I first heard about Jesus. But I do remember when the story of Jesus became personal for me. I was a teenager, going to Sweetwater UMC in Pearson. Brother Randy had just started preaching there. There was something in the way he told the story that made it come alive. And I fell in love with the story of Scripture. The next time we're together, I want to hear your stories.

If you're also doing the video class, please watch "Phil 1:12-18 with Prof. N.T. Wright."

Here are my notes




  • Paul challenges us to think differently and to look at situations and circumstances through the lens of the Good News.
  • Paul is in prison, maybe in Ephesus? 
  • Proclaiming Jesus as Lord is what makes the difference
  • The name of Jesus makes things happen--see Acts
  • The gospel makes the difference
  • Don't be anxious--ironically, this is part of the Good News

Stats for nerds
- I don't have a complicated system for Bible journaling. I write down what I think is most important--the things that help me to get the bigger picture and things that I think will be helpful in a sermon.
- I use Pigma Micron pens. It's what other Bible nerds suggested, and it's what Lifeway used to carry. I use the 005 size.
- I use blue for the majority of the notes because it seems the least distracting from the text.
- I use an orange for underlining key words. (I don't highlight this Bible. I have one with thicker paper that I use a highlighting system in.)
- I use black for what I think are major notes.
- This is a 1984 NIV Cambridge Wide Margin. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Midweek Meditation, episode 1

Good evening church! The Coronavirus and social distancing make it impossible for us to meet this week, but we can still chat. So instead of our weekly Bible study in person, let's try this. Follow this link and create an account at Udemy. This course is free if you enroll by tomorrow, March 19th.  Watch the 3 minute course Overview video with Jennifer Loop. She'll explain how this course is put together. . Then view the 3 minute Introduction to the Letter by N.T. Wright.  Bishop Wright mentions Philippians as one of the prison letters. The prison letters are Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon. Do you have a favorite letter of Paul? I love the little book of Philemon. It's a personal letter, short, and tells a beautiful story. I think the whole of Paul's theology can be seen there--Reconciliation is the heart of what it means to be part of the family of Jesus. What about you? Do you have a favorite letter by Paul? Is there some question

Maundy Thursday: Commandment of Love

Let's start by addressing your first question: What is Maundy Thursday? The English word "Maundy" comes from the Latin  mandatum , which means "commandment." This comes from John 13:34, when Jesus says, "I give you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, so you must also love each other." John 13:12-15 in the Common English Bible (CEB) reads: After he [Jesus] washed the disciples' feet, he put on his robes and returned to his place at the table. He said to them, "Do you know what I've done for you? You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and you speak correctly, because I am. If I, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you too must wash each other's feet. I have given you an example: Just as I have done, you also must do. This scene occurs right before Jesus' final meal. In these verses, Jesus lays down his robes and washes his disciples' feet. Washing the dusty feet of a guest wa

The Character of a Methodist

I hope your New Year is off to a wonderful and blessed start. As the calendar turned to 2018, many people resolved to get into shape. Maybe we would do better if we let our Maker shape us. If we let God reshape our character, what would we look like and what would we do? I think Wesley was pretty close when he listed five clear practices for anyone who identifies as a Christian. These are sometimes called the five marks of a Methodist: A Methodist loves God. A Methodist rejoices in God. A Methodist gives thanks. A Methodist prays constantly. A Methodist loves others. If we embrace and live out these qualities, so that they become ingrained into who we are, then our lives will exhibit Christian character. If you're interested, here's a  link  to our Instagram page. Blessings, AK